Friday, March 23, 2012

A Stephen King Complication

Another friday has come our way and I promised I'll go with fun and entertaining stuff on these days. First off, I'm dedicating this post to my idol and inspiration, Stephen King (not that he'll read this or even cares, but nonetheless). I'll share with you a list of my top five most favorite books/stories of his.

5 Best Stephen King Books/Stories Ever

  • Pet Cemetery. I mean, really, this book made cry like a baby. So scary and tragic! And I wasn't even a mom back then. I do not dare read it again until my kids have reached a ripe-old age.
  • The Shining. This one is a classic and we all know the movie version which is up there with the greatest ever. The book, however, explores many human themes besides the obvious supernatural ones and that gives it a deeper, more frightening sense. I had nightmares for weeks!
  • Jerusalem's Lot. A short story from SK's anthology, NIGHT SHIFT. This story is sort of a prequel to Salem's Lot. It takes place decades (possibly even centuries, but the details are foggy since I read it such a long time ago) before the novel, it goes to show the reader how evil the land itself was, way before vampires got there.
  • Salem's Lot. This is one of my favorite books because it is the only novel-length story SK has entirely dedicated to the vampire myth. It is so effective and human that, again, it goes beyond the paranormal scares and into our own inner monsters.
  • The Boogeyman. Another short story from NIGHT SHIFT. I own my paralyzing fear to open closets at night to this one. Not only that, I cannot let my feet hang out the side of my bed and into the fangs of whatever thing might lurk under it. Seriously.

Of course, it is always hard to choose among so many great stories and books and these ones are the ones that spoke to me, personally. I'd love to hear all about your favorite five!

No comments: