Monday, April 2, 2012

A to Z Challenge. C...

For C-Day a classic movie and another classic but fairly unknown book. I present to you:

Movie.

The Changeling (1980)
Directed by Peter Medak.

Plot: When composer John Russell (George C. Scott) loses his wife and daughter in a car wreck, he seeks solace by renting a secluded estate outside Seattle. But the mansion is haunted by the presence of a child who died there more than 80 years ago. Now, Russell must find out who that child was and why there seems to be a cover-up now.

Review: This is another quiet movie that doesn't pack the gore nor shock value we are so used to nowadays. It is atmospheric and the tension builds up relentlessly, leaving the viewer feeling pleasantly uncomfortable through out the whole movie. Those interested in more than jump-value in a ghost story will appreciate the beauty of the story driving this piece, as well as the very well done creepy scares that'll keep you holding a pillow close to your face. Truly a classic.

Book.

Conjure Wife by Frietz Leiber.
Published in 1943 by Unknown Words.


Blurb: Professor Norman Saylor considered magic nothing more than superstition. Then he learned that his wife was a practicing sorceress. But he still refuses to accept the truth: that in the secret occult warfare that governs our lives, magic is a matter of life and death; and that unbeknownst to men, every woman knows it.

Review: I'm in the process of reading this book and so far I find it very well written, interesting, and intelligent. The professor is a Psycologist in fact and the author uses this to establish the pragmatic nature of his main character. Then, of course, there's a clear change of gears when it is the wife we're talking about. I love how the language plays such a clue piece in setting the mind frame for the reader. I still have half book ahead of me, but so far I can recommend it happily. I'll be sure to be back and do a complete review once all is said and done.

Hope you are enjoying this as much as I am. Remember to hop around to get more A to Z awesomeness.

12 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Conjure Wife sounds like an excellent read!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

That sounds like a great read I would be interested in!

This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

Duncan In Kuantan

Stuart Lloyd said...

I love the premise of Conjure Wife.

Stuart

Lloyd of Gamebooks - virtualfantasies.blogspot.com

Amanda Trought said...

Gina, even the trailer for the Changeling had me jumping! Still like to see it though! looking forward to reading your reviews.

Unknown said...

Hi, Gina! Fellow A to Z'er here! I'm blog-hopping this morning and wanted to leave a quick hello. :-) Thanks for a great blog this morning ... I shall return!

Crack You Whip said...

I am going to check out The Changeling.

Their was a movie based on a true story a few years back...it was called The Changeling.

Sounds like an interesting read, thanks!

Bonnie said...

I'm doing books and movies, too! (Among a few other things. :P But you're going more in-depth.) I look forward to your upcoming posts and am curious if we'll have the same content as some point.

Happy alphablogging!

~ Bonnie

Nicole said...

Ooh, a new book AND a movie! Nice. :) Looking forward to your future A-Z posts.

Laura Barnes said...

The Changeling was one of the few movies that made me jump when I was growing up. Very creepy.

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

I have heard of the changeling now I need to watch it.

Georgina Morales said...

Hi y'all! Thanks for stopping by!

Kyra, Conjure Wife is a very nice book, subdue and quiet but it keeps building up and doesn't let down. I'm glad you like it!

Duncan, thanks for visiting my humble abode. I wish you too all the luck!

Stuart, It does sound good, right? That's what first got me and then I stayed for the terrific story. =) Glad you like it.

Amanda, I saw The Changeling when a friend recommended it to me and I loved it. I'm fascinated by movies driven by the plot and not by cool special effects. I hope you enjoy it!

Cherstin, thanks for commenting! Good luck to you, too.

Crack your Whip, the recent movie based on real events was on a completely different genre. With Angelina Jolie as the star, it got a lot of talk, yet I didn't see it. This one is a ghost story and totally fictional, yet very spooky and fascinating. Thanks for commenting.

Bonnie, I can't wait to see what you're blogging about! I love movies and this seemed like the perfect idea for the challenge. Now I'll have to follow yours and see if we share tastes!

Laura, you're so right. I love this movie!

Josh, do watch it. You will not regret it. =)

Jennifer Lane said...

I saw this movie when I was 9 years old and it scared the HELL out of me. Great reference to an old flick!