Friday, December 14, 2012

Best Five Horror/Scary Animated Shorts

I love the feeling of being scared, of having my heart missing a bit, of holding my breath and covering my eyes in complete and unashamed cowardice. Not in the real world, of course, but in the fantastical world of my imagination--You may doubt it but I'm not that crazy.--Whenever I want to kick back, relax, and have a fun time, my mind inevitably drifts to the genre. Books, TV shows, movies, short movies, anything and everything good enough to cause any of the things I told you before brings me joy. So, it is no wonder that many of my Friday Fun posts relate to the genre and I hope you enjoy them as much as me.

Today I want to share with you more awesome animated shorts. Most of them were made by small independent filmmakers just trying to reach viewers. In that aspect we, writers, are no different than the hordes of artists fighting to make a living off their art.--Not that I can call what I do "art" but you get my drift.--In an effort to bring what little recognition I can to those unknown artists, I highlight today five of the horror/scary/suspenseful animated shorts that have given me the most joy to watch. Hope they do the same for you and you decide to share their work with someone else.

5. IN SICKNESS - This short has been critically acclaimed for the message of love it conveys. Though not strictly horror, it has a preternatural element and it is indeed scary and sad--being that it talks about sickness and death.


4. THE LADY AND THE RIPPER - Another short that's not really horror but that deals with the theme of death, this time in lighthearted manner that will get more than a chuckle out of you.


3. THE GIRL WHO WAS FORGOTTEN - This one is more into the gothic spectrum and hauntingly beautiful. Not horrific at all and even a little sad.


2. THE PASSENGER - This short is scary and hilarious all at the same time. It made me jump a couple of times and what fun I had!


1. BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - In this case the subject matter gets darker dealing with domestic abuse and monsters--both, imaginary and real.-- It gave me the creeps and I hope it does the same for you. =)


Bonus. THE BLACKWATER GOSPEL - This short is not only scary and disturbing, but gruesome. The pacing is phenomenal, the writing amazing, and the animation a treat, so I couldn't pass it. I think it has a deeper message that is worth repeating but I do have to say it gets bloody towards the end. Totally worth it, still: Viewer be warned.

Have an awesome weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really a horror genre fan, but a lot of these look really intriguing! Thanks for pulling them together.

Georgina Morales said...

My pleasure, Julie! i'm glad I tickled your fancy. =)

Paige Lollie said...

Those were some intense and gruesome and fun shorts. But those really showed different sides and styles of horror. It is not just the ghost at the end of the hall or the monster under the bed. I like how these really show that the genre of horror is more broad than that.

Really great to have them up!! Thanks for sharing them!

Georgina Morales said...

I do think the horror genre is much more than vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and gore. The different kind of horror that actually involves thought needs to be shared more often, so I'm really happy to know you enjoyed these. Thanks for your nice comments, Paige!

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins
to safeguard against hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any recommendations?
Feel free to surf my weblog hookah in Orlando