Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Call for help. IWSG to the rescue

April is gone and we are now facing our May IWSG meeting. It's been a long time since I gave credit to the awesome ninja writer Alex Cavanaugh for being the master mind behind this group. There are hundreds of great writers posting about their insecurities, successes, and experiences on this day. If you want to find out more, you can alway click on the page I have dedicated to the group, or you can go directly to the source and find out bout the Captain Ninja yourself.

So, yes, it's already May. The year is going so fast! And I think it has been a very busy, very interesting year so far. I'm making an effort to stray from my comfort zones, and grow as a writer. I tried my first ever Creative Writing class with success and a few tears (refer to this post); I'm also writing more thrillers and noir stories, which have been lots of fun; and I even learned a few things about writing poetry. That last one was a bit painful, though, and I don't think I feel inclined to try that road again, at least not any time soon.

In general, I'd say I'm feeling positive about my writing these days, although there are always doubts and it's been too long since I have received an acceptance. Of course, then, I'm having a hard time letting the rejections slip off me and I'm not jumping to write the next submission letter as soon as I can. Still, I have a short story and three flash fictions doing the rounds and I'm trying to keep my faith in myself up. How? By writing more. I'm currently working on three more short stories and a novel. So I'm busy, and kinda happy.

And where does the 'support group' part of the post come in? Well, I need to ask you a favor. One of those stories I'm working on is a gothic horror and I'm stuck. I've been told that the story 'told' to much and 'showed' little, so I worked on that. I was also told that it was a bit 'baroque', meaning I needed to pair down the narrative, which I also did. Sadly, by now I just don't see the story anymore. The details are too familiar for me and I like too much to be any objective. I would love for a few critical eyes used to gothic style to give their opinions, but I just don't know anyone willing to break my heart and be blunt. So, the question for you: do you, or do you know of anyone who would like to help me? I can always pay with the same token... And with chocolate. Lots of chocolate. =)

Well, then, that's it for me. Now to you: Tell me how do you feel about your year so far? Is it going like you expected? And what do you do to keep your morale high?

I hope you have an excellent an inky May. Cheers!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Poetry is not my bag either, but I think it's worth the study just to be more aware of the cadence and placement of words. I think an awareness or talent with poetry enriches writing. ALl the best to you on your book and short stories!

Jeannette said...

Hello and nice to meet you! I know how hard it is to look at your work objectively, and then when you "use up" your critique partners (when they don't have fresh eyes anymore), who do you turn to? I can't say I'm super familiar with gothic, but I read a lot and I like darker tales. If you want to contact me about reading your story, please feel free!

Robin said...

A new set of truly critical eyes can be hard to find. I wish I were more familiar with your genre and could give it a read for you. Sometimes I get so much advise I completely lose my story and have to go back to the roots to find it again.

Time away from a story often helps me.
All the best!

Georgina Morales said...

Thanks Julie. I do think that poetry will help get a better sense of rhythm and conciseness, so I won't throw the towel just yet. =)

Nice to meet you, too Jeanette! You are very nice to offer and I'll take you on your word, so wait for my mail very soon! ;-)

Robin, time is always our best ally indeed. Though in this case I would looove to just finish the story already... been working on it for a year (intermittently) but I'm getting to the end of the line, here. =) Thanks for your nice words!