Wednesday, December 4, 2013

IWSG December


Well, hello there insecure writer fellow! Hope December finds you well and your fingers tired of bangin' that keyboard. Lately, I haven't been as riddled with insecurities since I've been blessed to a very positive second half of the year. Oh, I know they're there, waiting to jump on me at the first sight of trouble. But I'll have you, then. Right?  =)

Anyway, so I'm considering to start actively searching for an agent. It is a big endeavor. Oh, you see? My insecurities just flashed me a big smile from the dark corner, over there. (Shoo! Go away, now! She whispers.)

I know some of you have agents and I'm wondering how's your experience been. I don't mean if you get along with your agent, which I think is a basic, but in your experience getting published. Has having an agent opened doors for you? Does it make it any easier to get published? Would you recommend an already traditionally published author to get an agent as the next step? I'm just very curious about the whole thing, so just tell me about your experiences. Why you love your agent, or why you hate him/her. I'd like to hear the good and the bad, that way I won't expect rainbows when there will be storms.

As always, thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for making all this possible. Check the IWSG list of participating blogs here, or like their Facebook page.

Have a great Holiday Season, gang, and kick 2013 off in the best way possible. See ya in 2014!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Getting an agent was a big battle for me, one I kept losing for several years -- although I did keep getting closer with more requests of each subsequent novel.

Just when I was ready to give up on novel #3, I got an offer from a small publisher and hooked an agent with that. She helped A LOT with the contract! Those things are really hard, and it's practically impossible to understand them or get the best deal without an agent. Plus, I know that my agent is my only route to sub the big publishers in the future (crossing my fingers I ever write anything big-publisher-worthy.)

Wishing you good luck! :-)

StratPlayerCJF said...

Me giving you advice agents would be like me giving you advice on child-birth.

I ain't never been anywhere close to having to go through either one of them. :)

But I at least hope to experience one of them first-hand at some point in the future...

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful; your Christmas is fabulous and filled with love and joy; and your 2014 is a year of enormous blessings and success!!!

cleemckenzie said...

Be patient. Be persistent. Be careful.

That's about the best I can do.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I'm self-published, so I can't give you advice but i'm sure someone will help you out.

Unknown said...

Oh how exciting and scary and wonderful all rolled up into one. All the best to you on this leg of the journey.

Georgina Morales said...

Thanks to all for commenting. I know not everyone has an agent, or is even considering one, but still I thank you for stopping by and say "hi".

@Lexa, thanks for your input. What you have done is a great accomplishment. Just thinking about it gives me nightmares. I hope one day I'll have that big-publisher-worthy book, too. ;-)

Patsy said...

I have no experience with agents, but wish you well in the search for one if you feel having one will be of benefit.

Jeremy Bates said...

u can pretty much get published by small/midsize houses without an agent (which is what i did)
but u need an agent for the big six.... i've had agents in the past and didn't get published with the 6, and i just got another one now, so see what happens.... so far they have done nothing for me! lol but im sure if they land u a deal, then it would be well worth the waiting/effort u have to go through to get one