Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG November Edition

I don't know where the year went but there's an extra cozy layer in my bed and I'm wearing scarfs and jackets all the time. Yep, winter is a-coming. Now many of us write in a panic-induce fervor, trying to accomplish as much as possible to feel like we didn't waste another year of our lives. Others call it NaNoWriMo.

(That was a joke. I totally admire all of you who have the passion and stamina to even attempt NaNoWriMo. Hat's off to you!)

As many of you know, this has been a hectic second half of the year for my family. I've been concentrated in our move, finding a new house, selling the old one, and getting the girls started in a new school and new language. That left me no mind to write at all. Before I noticed, 4 months had passed. Lately, though, I can see the family settling into a rhythm; there's still much to get used to, but the stress level has gone down for everyone and I feel like we are finally in our way. So last week, I decided it was time to go back to my writing. Except that my brain hurts from trying so hard, my hand cramps after writing too much, and my fingers move too slow over the keyboard.

Way to start over... Thankfully, the Coffin Hop was just around the corner. Of all the blog hops I've participated through the years, the Coffin Hop's the one I've enjoyed the most. I decided to use the hop as a training camp. I researched my theme, wrote roughs by hand, and typed everything into my blog later on. I followed a schedule and put my butt on the chair weather I felt like it or not. And I had a blast.

With the success of the hop, now I feel empowered to tackle my latest novel project and I have a plan. Like I said, I just don't have the stamina to try NaNo, but I've decided to set a more realistic approach for myself. I'm going to dedicate every day of the week (but take the weekends off for family stuff) from here until a week before Christmas to write my novel. If I write an average of 3000 words/day, I'll be done with the first draft by then. So far I've been crippled by my own critical mind, obsessed over covering every plot hole I can think off before I even start. So this time I won't think too much, I'll simply write. It'll need a boatload of work, it'll be crap, but it'll be done. I can work with that. What I can't do is edit a piece that isn't written.

So wish me good luck, my fellow insecure writers, as I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Good luck in your writing endeavors! May the Muse be with you.

And don't forget to support other insecure fellas. Just follow this link...

21 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

You have a great plan! The Coffin Hop sounds like it was a blast. Sorry to have missed it.
Play off the Page

Michelle Wallace said...

Sounds like you had a lot going on...now that it has passed, you can move forward with your plan!
And I'm also guilty of the 'over-thinking' bit.
Good luck in your writing endeavors!

Diane Burton said...

Don't beat yourself up over not writing while you've had so much going on. Holy cow, girl. Give yourself a break. LOL Did you hear the voice of experience there? Yep, been there, done that many, many times. Good for you for getting back to the writing. Best wishes.

Georgina Morales said...

@Mary Aalgaard: The Coffin Hop is always so much fun. Maybe next year you'll be able to join the fun!

@Michellw Wallace: It's so hard to unplug the brain enough to not keep you from moving forward, right? Thanks for your nice words. =)

@Diane Burton: LOL I guess it's the same way for most of us, right? Thanks for the support. <3

Jeff Chapman said...

I don't plan to ever move again, at least not by choice. Best of luck with your novel project. Enjoyed your coffin hop posts.

Shannon Lawrence said...

We all need a break sometimes, but now you can jump in with both feet and move forward. I'm in the same predicament, and have to insist to myself that I not beat myself up.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! And that sounds like an awesome plan!

Christy B said...

That is great you now feel stronger than ever! Wishing you success!

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Just saying...if you can write 3000 words a day, you can TOTALLY win NaNo, even with taking weekends off. All you need to win is an average of 1667 words per day.

Think about it for next year. We can be NaNo buddies.

What is a Coffin Hop? It sounds like something I should know about. I write on the dark side too.

Nice to "meet" you. Good luck with your book!

Doreen McGettigan said...

Good luck with your schedule, it seems doable!
I am finishing the last 20 pages of editing on my second book this weekend. There is a lot of work to still do but I am already looking forward to the blank page of #3.

Unknown said...

Good luck! It's good to have a plan and "just write it" is the best advice for the first draft! :-)

Lucinda Whitney, Author said...

To simply write sound like a good plan, and one I have to follow. GL!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Sounds like an excellent plan!! I hope it's a huge success for you.

Unknown said...

It's always great to try new ways to make writing easier. You never know what can be your perfect fit. Good luck with the new novel!

emaginette said...

Might be busy, but very good too :-)

Anna from Shout with Emaginette

Georgina Morales said...

@Jeff: Thanks Jeff!

@Shannon: I know, we writers love to beat up ourselves, right?

@Christy: Thanks! Best wishes to you too.

@JH: LOL When you put it like that... Hadn't thought about it that way, though. I might take you up on that offer! Oh, and the Coffin Hop is a week dedicated to celebrate our love for everything creepy and Halloweny. Tons of horror writers, reviewers, and bloggers participate. Check it out at www.cofinhop.com

@Doreen: It sounds like you are well in your way! Isn't it funny how we're always thinking about the next project?

dolorah said...

I can't seem to write by hand; I've been using a keyboard so long I think I've lost the ability to write by hand. You've been busy busy in your personal life. Way to get back into things with your own goals. Good luck accomplishing them :)

Unknown said...

Best of luck with your writing for the rest of the year! If you can get anywhere near 3000 words a day, then that would be huge. I struggle with 1000 most days. I'm trying to get my butt in the chair too. Every day with more words on the page is a success.

Anonymous said...

I missed the hop, but I love your spirit and determination.

Crystal Collier said...

=) Awesome. I know what you mean about the move. We did that this summer--2 moves actually, followed by putting kids in school for the first time (we've always home schooled), 20+ family members hitting town for a family event (they were only here for 3 weeks), and a book release. It's been hard to convince myself just to sit down and write with all the settling still happening, but it's come back in the last couple weeks. I miss it, and it's so fun. Glad you got back into the swing!

Unleashing the Dreamworld

Tamara Narayan said...

Good luck with your writing goal. 3000 words a day sounds ambitious.